Slider

the ol' embroidery techniques

Friday, October 16, 2009


About a month ago, I was browsing through JoAnn's crafts for material when I happened upon the embroidery aisle. After 10 minutes, I discovered that I had purchased a hoop, some needles, and thread. As I left the store, I tossed the bag to the passenger seat and thought, oh great Bianca, yet another hobby that you'll soon forget.

And then I looked over at my stash of plain cloth diapers and thought I'd dust off the ol' embroidery skills to craft a fun rag for my BFF. At the same time, I'd teach my niece how to embroider. When I was 7, my mom enrolled me into a continuing education class to learn how to better hone my embroidery talents. I'd gotten a brief taste the summer before at Grandma's house, so this would help me along the way.

Anyway, I freehanded a bird and went to town with a basic stitch and some other's I made up along the way. Here are some of the ones I knew how to do (once upon a time, with smaller fingers): http://www.craftown.com/instruction/embroidery.htm

Anyway, the final result "kinda" looks like a bird, less body, fully beak and tail. Oh well, not too shabby since it's been 25 years. eeek...now I'm feeling my age.

No comments:

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan