Slider

2nd Annual Seton Soles 5K

Saturday, April 25, 2009

Saturday morning we woke up early and headed out to St. Elizabeth Ann Seton. Both Don and I were struggling to get up, but we'd committed to each other that we'd run this race. Don wanted to get in another 5K race before his triathlon in May and me...well, here's the story.

Last year, when I was getting out and about after having Mari, I had enough confidence to attempt a race. Don had recently purchased a jogging stroller for me and I wanted to see how I'd be able to use it in a race setting. At this point in time, I hadn't decided to run the NYC Marathon, I was just testing out my new mommy legs. I found the Seton Soles 5K and since it was the inaugural year, I figured, 'eh, why not. Will was in town and he decided to run it with us too.

This was the race that started it all. The running, the training, the catalyst to dreaming big! Little did I know that a race would have such an impact on my life. And not just my life, but other's as well. Don is going to be doing his first triathlon. My sister just completed her triathlon, a half marathon, and plans to run her own marathon this year!! Will not only shaved 6 minutes off his 5K race, but he won one too!!! Incredible.

There we were bright and early, happy as could be. The wind pounded down on us at every hill, but I powered through. Mari is a lot bigger, and let me tell you, pushing her is quite a bit harder than it used to be. I don't know how my time was, but I was happy to know that I could wake up and bust out a 5K, even after a few months off of running.
And I have to say that Mari ate an entire banana and half a large orange before the race. She's definitely eating more and I think it may be a growth spurt. Who knows, maybe next year she'll be running with us...nah, she'll need to ride in the jogging stroller a little longer.

No comments:

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan