Slider

Race for the Cure

Saturday, October 18, 2008



On Saturday morning, we woke up pretty early to participate with nearly 40,000 other people to help raise awareness in the 2008 Komen Race for the Cure in Dallas. We were part of Team Maverick, my company's team. I convinced Don and my sister to be on our team and I'm so very glad we could all be there together.
There was an incredible feeling that overwhelmed me when we walked towards the race. I just felt all sorts of tingles and I was surrounded by a speckled sea of pink hats: signs of survivors. So many wonderful inspirational stories surrounding me and I hated that I didn't get to hear one. But just before the race, I was able to read my Godmother's/Cousin's story and wow! Everytime I thought it was a rough-go (especially those big hills and Mari just seemed heavier and heavier in her stroller), I buckled down and pushed harder. Not only because the sun was in her eyes, but I knew that my run up that hill was going to be over in 10 minutes, but for Margie, she had months and months of pain to endure. I could do it. So when I finished the race, I glanced down at my watch and was pleasantly surprised that despite pushing Mari and the hills, I still maintained my goal marathon pace. Whew! What a positive relief!! That was definitely better than last week's effort. With less than 2 weeks to go (and the nerves kicking in overdrive), I'm definitely more confident than I was last week.
Thanks for all of the positive vibes and if you ever have the chance to participate in Komen race, I highly recommend it! Yes, it was crowded, but it was tough to not have a good time. We came home with a case of water, lots of pink lidded yogurts, and a baker's dozen worth of bananas! Oh, and I also got a scarf that I know I can somehow incorporate it in my marathon outfit!!

No comments:

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan